Bones form the basis of a healthy life. We generally relate calcium alone to bone health and rely too much on dairy products . Here is more to bone health than just dairy products intake…
• Talking about bone health is incomplete without calcium. Dairy products are rich in calcium. Calcium in milk is better absorbed because lysine and lactose enhance its absorption.
Other calcium rich foods are ragi , til , beans , tofu , green vegetables , broccoli .
• Vitamin D stimulates the formation of calcium binding protein that enhance calcium absorption .Body synthesizes Vitamin D when exposed to the sun. Other sources are fortified milk , cheese , eggs , fortified cereals , cream , butter , fish , shrimp , cod liver oil .
• Include Vitamin K in your diet by eating green leafy vegetables , broccoli , brussel sprouts , dark green lettuce , soybean , oats and wheat germ .
• Magnesium plays an important role in regulating calcium levels in the bone as its deficiency affects calcium metabolism. Magnesium is found in nuts , whole grain, sea food , legumes , tofu , mustard green , turnip , cucumber , green beans and celery .
• Fruits and vegetables strengthen bones . They are rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium and many more nutrients. Being alkaline in nature they do not encourage urinary loss of calcium.
• Including black beans , kidney beans ,white beans , black eyed peas or baked beans would boast up the calcium level. • Spice up your food with garlic, cinnamon, parsley, peppermint leaves, basil , thyme , oregano , rosemary to give a calcium boost .
• Small amount of butter, cream, ghee are required for absorption of calcium as they are rich in vitamin D. • Chewing fish bones can also supply calcium.
• For maintaining strong bones exercise is essential . Weight bearing exercise as walking , dancing , jogging , stair climbing , racket sport thrice a week strengthen your bone .