Though the fibre in food is generally under estimated ,it is important to include them in adequate amount. Eating high fibre diet reduces cholesterol levels, regulates blood sugar,obesity, constipation, colitis, colon cancer and even haemorrohids.
Small changes can make big impact on your fibre intake and over all health……
- Chose whole grain and its products . many vitamins and minerals are also found in the outer layer so when the bran is removed the vitamins and minerals are lost.
- Add beans and lentils to your tossed salad , sauces and soups.
- Flaxseed has both soluble and insoluble fibre along with omega 3 fatty acid as well as cancer preventing lignans. Sprinkle ground flaxseed on yoghurt, cereal, salads to increase dietary fibre.
- Instead of using artificial supplement , dig into natural fibre foods . They are present in beans, legumes, wholegrain, whole fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds and root vegetables.
- Almond, walnut and pistachio are not only rich in protein but has fibre as well. Raisins have both soluble and insoluble fibre. Chose them as in between snacks.
- Methi seed also has high levels of both the fibres and it’s very effective in reducing the blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Do not peel the potatoes. The skin is rich in fibre and other nutrients as well.
- Eat more fruits for snacks and dessert but limit the intake of fruit juices. Do not forget to eat the skin on fruits as apple and pear.
- Including salads with your meals is a good idea. They are highly recommended.
- Include barley in your diet. You can switch to channa atta instead of besan .
Fibre is a magic word for weight loss as it increases the food volume without increasing the caloric content and provides satiety hence reduces weight. So,single mantra for health is to eat more fibre.